FedEx Stands Up Special Operation to Help Fight COVID-19
Effort is a collaboration with the U.S. Government and Major Retailers
FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. and the world’s largest express transportation company, today announced it stood up a special operation over the weekend to help the U.S. government quickly move COVID-19 test specimens from more than 50 remote drive-thru testing centers at major retailers across 12 states. This critical mission, led by the White House, Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), was a collaborative effort among retailers and healthcare companies to enable quick processing of COVID-19 test specimens to help prevent spread of the virus.
To ensure weekend support of this mission, FedEx Express dedicated 28 flight legs, as well as specialized pick-up and delivery operations. FedEx used its patented SenseAware® technology and monitoring to help safely transport the test specimens collected in select U.S. markets to 10 labs operated by Quest Diagnostics and other commercial labs, helping to ensure maximum visibility of the shipments while in transit. The Department of Health and Human Services aided in collecting, packaging and sealing test sample boxes with the SenseAware® devices before they were shipped via FedEx Express First Overnight with Priority Alert monitoring for delivery by 8 a.m. the next day.
FedEx Express will continue to provide support seven days a week as more remote testing centers come available across the country.
“We have a great responsibility in these unprecedented times to do what we do best—mobilize our network quickly to help the communities where we live and work,” said Raj Subramaniam, president and chief operating officer, FedEx Corp. “As the world’s largest cargo airline, we have the ability to flex our operations in some of the most challenging of circumstances. By swiftly taking action to stand up this special operation, we are playing an important role in advancing the speed of delivery for these critical test samples.”
Since January, FedEx has worked with governments, nonprofits, suppliers and retail customers to proactively help with relief efforts, including:
- Collaborated with HHS, the TN Air National Guard and other agencies to move over a million COVID-19 test kits to cities across the U.S.
- Continued collaboration with humanitarian aid organizations, such as Direct Relief to deliver 250,000 N95 masks and other personal protective equipment to as many as 1,000 community health centers and free clinics as part of the FedEx Cares “Delivering for Good” initiative.
- Expedited delivery of test kits from Indianapolis-based Roche Diagnostics to U.S. labs.
- Worked with one of the largest medical device companies in the world to move more than 100 tons of respiratory life-saving equipment to China.
- Shipped more than 200,000 surgical masks and protective equipment to Guangzhou, China hub for delivery to Wuhan Union Hospital.
- Providing vital access points to the FedEx global network through FedEx Office retail locations as they serve as hold locations for redirected shipments and urgent printing support for government agencies and customers.
Keeping Team Members Safe
The safety of 475,000 FedEx team members is the company’s top priority. In addition to following guidance from public health organizations, we are:
- Suspending signature requirements for most deliveries to help couriers and customers maintain a safe social distance.
- Promoting social distancing on the job, including measures at security screening, on employee shuttles, and in common areas.
- Educating team members about prevention, including hygiene and cleaning, via manager meetings, signage and digital monitors in facilities.
- Disinfecting cockpits, jumpseat areas, and aircraft lavatories to keep pilots healthy.
“Our team members are moving commerce and other critical supplies around the globe. The work they do is an essential service, and we are grateful. It is in times of crisis that they truly step up and show the world who we are and what we do,” Subramaniam said.
For more information about FedEx relief efforts, visit https://www.fedex.com/en-us/coronavirus.html.
About FedEx Express
FedEx Express is the world’s largest express transportation company, providing fast and reliable delivery to more than 220 countries and territories. FedEx Express uses a global air and ground network to speed delivery of time-sensitive shipments, by a definite time and date with a money-back guarantee.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenue of $70 billion, the company offers integrated business solutions through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 475,000 team members to remain focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. To learn more about how FedEx connects people and possibilities around the world, please visit about.fedex.com.