Submission Guidelines for DTJ
What is DTJ?
The Defense Transportation Journal (DTJ) is a bi-monthly publication with 5,000+ subscribers in the military, government and private sector engaged in logistics, transportation, distribution and passenger travel. DTJ is designed to advance knowledge in these fields, and foster the relationship between commercial organizations and their government partners. DTJ provides authoritative, incisive content from proven experts, serving as a forum for current research, opinions and explication of trends.
Who can submit an article for publication?
We welcome all ideas and submissions from our stakeholders. As a bi-monthly periodical we obviously have space constraints, so articles are reviewed for relevance to 1.) current events/developments, 2.) NDTA’s members, and 3.) the planned editorial calendar for the issue.
Special consideration is given to NDTA corporate members and government stakeholders.
What types of articles does DTJ publish?
Content for DTJ is educational – not advertorial – and generally* fits into one of several categories:
- Featured articles explain a technology, process, or trend and their challenges or benefits to the industry
- Case studies evaluate a real-world event or emergency with lessons learned
- Opinions provide expert commentary and insight into a current issue or event
- Profiles highlight a specific person, organization or facility
All content is reviewed by the editorial team and may be edited for length and clarity. We work closely with the original author(s) to ensure the integrity of their work.
*We also welcome other types of pieces, including scholarly/academic papers, white papers, etc. Longer form pieces may require splitting the content among several issues of DTJ.
Are there any specific formatting requirements?
Yes indeed. We ask that all submissions hew – more or less – to the following guidelines:
- Articles should generally run 1,500 – 3,000 words (we do accept shorter opinions, profiles, etc.)
- Articles should be submitted as a .docx file created in Microsoft Word
- Photographs or graphics that accompany the article must be high resolution (300dpi). Adobe vector file formats or .jpg files are preferred
- All submissions should include the headline and author’s name, title and professional organization
- Source materials referenced within an article should be cited within the text or as endnotes
Who should I contact to get started?
To pitch an idea or submit an article, please e-mail Managing Editor Sharon Lo. For reprint permissions, please contact Director of Public Relations Kimberly Huth. For information on advertising in DTJ, please contact Bob Schotta.
MAKE AN IMPACT WITH NDTA
Join the National Defense Transportation Association’s global association of transportation, logistics and passenger travel professionals. Experience competitive benefits, rewarding professional development courses, exciting networking opportunities, and create a strong, efficient transportation system for the United States.